More than 30 bathers last week encountered poisonous jellyfish on one of the beaches of the resort island of Phuket in Thailand, where many Russians went this winter. In connection with the invasion of jellyfish, authorities have warned vacationers about the dangers of swimming in the water and the need to follow warning signs. By the way, Russian tourists in Thailand also write about this in their blogs – read the details in the article “Russian tourist in Thailand reported two terrible dangers waiting on the beaches.”
All cases of fatal encounters were recorded on Kata Beach, according to The Thaiger newspaper. Fortunately, most of the victims escaped with only minor burns, although they could have died from deadly creatures.
The authorities have declared the need to raise awareness among visitors to the country of permanent summer and have posted information boards on more than 20 popular tourist beaches around Phuket, including Patong, Nai Yang Beach, Surin and Cape Panwa with information on what first aid to give if a tourist is stung jellyfish. Rescuers were provided with bottles of vinegar so that they, too, could quickly come to the aid of the victims.
According to Thai media, the head of the protection of marine resources of Phuket, Suchart Ratanruangsri, personally conducted a briefing, in which he advised tourists to pour vinegar on the bite site for at least 30 seconds if they were stung by a fire jellyfish. If the cause of the bite is Portuguese boats, the poison of which has a nerve-paralytic effect similar to cobra venom, it is recommended to wash the wound with sea water. According to the expert, it is very important to seek medical help as soon as possible after providing first aid.
Thailand is home to many types of dangerous jellyfish, including the Morbakka fennery, better known as the fire jellyfish. It is distinguished by its shape in the form of a transparent bell with four purple tentacles, each 50 cm long. This breed got its name because of the powerful sting. Other dangerous individuals are sea wasps and Portuguese boats, contact with which can cause cardiac arrest. It is not necessary to learn to distinguish jellyfish, rescuers can do this. It's another matter if you go into the water on wild beaches … There, help may not come at all.
Unfortunately, deadly poisonous jellyfish are found in Thai waters all year round. However, because of this, you should not cancel your beach vacation, it is better to study the necessary tips for the prevention and treatment of jellyfish stings. One of the most important recommendations for swimmers is not to ignore the flag posted on the beach. According to the international standards that the kingdom adheres to, flags can have different colors, but it is the presence of dangerous marine animals near the shore, such as jellyfish, rays and sea urchins, that the purple flag will tell tourists. Typically, warning signs accompanying flags in Phuket are signed in seven languages - Thai, English, Russian, French, German, Korean and Chinese.
Alas, ignoring warning signs by tourists on a beach in Thailand or anywhere neither was often tragic. Do not underestimate the danger posed by poisonous jellyfish. Their venom rapidly affects the cardiovascular system and can lead to cardiac arrest in just two to five minutes. Untreated jellyfish stings can be fatal.
For those who care about a healthy lifestyle, we recommend reading: “The Doctor Reveals 5 Simple Reasons Why Belly Fat is Growing.”