Ahead of the peak holiday season, the Express newspaper reminded on its pages the steps to take before using an ATM while on vacation, quoting a travel expert.
Alas, travelers relaxed by rest become victims of fraudulent schemes and are left without money far from home. According to the Sambla team, tourists need to “be careful” when using ATMs, as well as take other classic precautions.
So, here's what the experts suggested:
- First, take precautions when using ATMs. A spokesperson had this to say: “ATMs can be a great convenience when traveling, but it's important to be careful when using them. Before using the device, make sure that it is located in a safe place and there are no suspicious persons nearby. It's also a good idea to cover your hand when entering your PIN so that outsiders don't see it.” At the same time, travelers should hide their PIN code in case a scammer tries to see it over their shoulder.
- Secondly, you need to keep track of your personal data and accounts. “It's important to check your accounts regularly when you travel, especially if you use debit or credit cards. Make sure all transactions are legitimate and that no unauthorized payments have been made. If you notice any suspicious activity, contact your bank immediately,” the company advised. Travelers should contact their bank immediately if they notice any unusual activity on their card.
- Third, keep your documents secure. “We strongly recommend that you keep all your important documents in a safe place – your passport, driver's license and other forms of identification. If possible, always keep these items in a locked suitcase or safe while traveling. Also, use alternative methods – wear a belt with money instead of a wallet that is easy to steal. It’s a cheap investment and a great option if you can’t leave your valuables at the hotel,” the experts also advised, adding that the flat money belt can be easily hidden under clothing and left a pickpocket without prey.
There is also an unusual addition: some experts surprisingly recommend storing shoes in a hotel safe along with important travel documents. It is believed that in this way tourists will not forget to put on their shoes when they leave the room and therefore will not forget to take their valuables.
- Fourthly, read the news about fraudulent schemes in order to know the “trends” thieves. “When traveling abroad, it is important to be aware of common scams and fraud schemes. Be careful when interacting with strangers and never give out personal information or cash to anyone you don't know. It's also wise to research potential tourist scams at your destination before you travel so you can be prepared for any situation,” they noted.
- Fifth, be aware of transaction fees by bank cards, including exchange rates. “Before traveling abroad, it is important to be aware of any potential fees associated with cards and exchange rates. Many countries have different rules for using them, so it is important to familiarize yourself with them before setting off on a trip, the experts added.
If travelers plan to spend money with a card while away, it is a good idea to get a currency card. And when withdrawing money from an ATM, they should always do it in local currency, and not in rubles, to avoid overpayment.
For those who value a healthy lifestyle, we recommend reading: “Osteopath revealed 5 ways to get rid of a headache without drugs.